Fuel Consumed & Flow Rate Indicator

Technical Information

Catalogue No: C1183
Category: Fuel Systems
Object Type: Indicator/Instrument
Object Name: Fuel Consumed & Flow Rate Indicator
Part No: 7802-0500
Serial No: 111/64X
Manufacturer: Elliott Bros
Division: Unknown
Platform(s):
Year of Manufacture: circa 1964
Dimensions:
Width (mm):
83 
Height (mm):
83 
Depth (mm):
150 
Weight (g):
990 
Location: Archive Object Store
Inscription(s):

Indicator
Flow Rate and Fuel Consumed
Serial No. 111/64X
Type No. 7802.05000
Mod No. 01
VAAS No. 401(F)
Elliott Bros (London) Ltd
Elliott

Notes:

This is quite an early instrument registering Fuel Flow Rate and Fuel Consumed. There is a manual reset on the front at the bottom of the dial. It displays Fuel flow in Kgs/Hr x100 and Fuel consumed in Kgs. The dimensions are150xdia82

The Fuel flow business was important to Elliotts and it was in 1964 that the new Fuel Flow laboratory was opened at Rochester. It offered a unique service in Europe. It was designed to test fuel flow equipment for the new generation of supersonic aircraft where fuel temperature of 150°C or higher would be encountered, and units would be required to operate at rigid standards of accuracy under extreme conditions of temperature (up to 200°C ambient) and in areas of extreme vibration.

The Laboratory can achieve gravimetric calibration accuracy within an error band of ±0.1% of flow rate under the following conditions:

1. Flow rates from 50 to 120,000 lb/hr.

2. Fuel temperatures from -55°C to +180°C.

3. Ambient temperatures from -60°C to +200°C.

There is also a Vibrator capable of producing a maximum thrust of 500 pounds with frequencies of up to 3,000 c.p.s. for resonance searches.

Instruments for the measurement of fuel tank capacity and flow seem to have been made by a number of companies such as Simmonds Aerocessories of London who advertised the product in 1952 and in that year they acquired Firth Cleveland Instruments and as that became the overall company name from 1953 onwards they are found under the Firth Cleveland Instruments name. Elliott Bros purchased Firth Cleveland Instruments in 1961 and continued the brand from the Treforest works where they also made Flowmeters and Test sets for these.
Originally the system would include the Transmitter which sensed the fuel flow in the feed line, an Amplifier which amplified and processed the signal from the Transmitter and an Indicator which gave a read-out in lbs/min. Basic signals are generated by the magnetic rotor of the flow transmitter, signal frequency being proportional to the volumetric fuel-flow. Fed to the integrator, the signal emerges as two distinct outputs in the form of a direct current proportional to rate of flow and pulses proportional in number to the total quantity of fuel passed. The two output signals are then fed to the cockpit instrument, which gives presentations of rate of flow as a needle on a dial, and totalized flow as a digital counter. Corrections for variation in fuel density may be made manually or automatically. By 1964 the Company was offering an Indicator which contained the amplifier/integrator saving weight and gaining- ±0.75% in accuracy. With the new Fuel Flow Test Lab in action the Company was by now a major supplier in fuel instrumentation.

Click to enlarge Click to enlarge