Fuel Remaining Indicator

Technical Information

Catalogue No: C0226
Category: Fuel Systems
Object Type: Indicator/Instrument
Object Name: Fuel Remaining Indicator
Part No: 7802-02000
Serial No: Blank
Manufacturer: Elliott Bros
Division: Unknown
Platform(s):
Year of Manufacture:
Dimensions:
Width (mm):
51 
Height (mm):
51 
Depth (mm):
244 
Weight (g):
850 
Location: Archive Object Store
Inscription(s):

Indicator Fuel Remaining

Notes:

Stores Ref 6A 12327

Instruments for the measurement of fuel tank capacity and flow seem to have been made by a number of companies such as Simmonds Aerocessories of London who advertised the product in 1952 and in that year they acquired Firth Cleveland Instruments and as that became the overall company name from 1953 onwards they are found under the Firth Cleveland Instruments name. Elliott Bros purchased Firth Cleveland Instruments in 1961 and continued the brand from the Treforest works where they also made Flowmeters and Test sets for these.
Originally the system would include the Transmitter which sensed the fuel flow in the feed line, an Amplifier which amplified and processed the signal from the Transmitter and an Indicator which gave a read-out in lbs/min. Basic signals are generated by the magnetic rotor of the flow transmitter, signal frequency being proportional to the volumetric fuel-flow. Fed to the integrator, the signal emerges as two distinct outputs in the form of a direct current proportional to rate of flow and pulses proportional in number to the total quantity of fuel passed. The two output signals are then fed to the cockpit instrument, which gives presentations of rate of flow as a needle on a dial, and totalized flow as a digital counter. Corrections for variation in fuel density may be made manually or automatically.
This unit records the Fuel Remaining on a digital read-out. There is a manual ‘Increase/Decrease’ knob below the read-out. Unfortunately it does not have a date but is likely to have been made at Elliotts in Treforest.

Click to enlarge Click to enlarge