The following links to other Websites may be found useful.
- Heritage Website:
- United States Air Force official Website:
US Helicopter Type Prefixes
- This Quora article explains the prefix letters' meanings in the designation codes of US helicopter types.
Herbert Group Ltd
- This website describes the history of the Herbert Group, one of the oldest companies in the country. In 1929 Leon Bagrit was taken on as a General Manager of this company but in 1935 fell out with Fitz Herbert and left to form B & P Swift Ltd to exploit his own patents and designs. In 1947 Bagrit arranged for Elliott Brothers to take over Swift, and he went on to become the Managing Director and later Chairman of Elliott Bros (London) Ltd.
The Museum of the History of Science
- The Museum of the History of Science houses an unrivalled collection of historic scientific instruments in the world’s oldest surviving purpose-built museum building, the Old Ashmolean on Broad Street, Oxford. The MHS now houses the Elliott collection and archive. This resource was held at Rochester for many years but at the end of 1999 Marconi Avionics was absorbed into BAE Systems with the merger of British Aerospace and Marconi Electronic Systems . The 'Elliott Collection' was claimed by the Marconi Company and was taken into storage. We did however retain items relevant to avionics at Rochester and the RAA was formed out of that collection. In the web site below select 'Collections' and then search on 'Elliotts'
The Royal Aeronautical Society Medway Branch
- Rochester Avionic Archives works closely with the Medway Branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society and indeed shares office space. The RAeS has an archive with particular areas on Short Brothers and Rochester Airport. Short Brothers are known for manufacture of Flying Boats at the Esplanade site on the River Medway in Rochester but they took space at Rochester Airport in about 1933 to build land planes. During WWII Shorts built the Stirling Bomber in the Hangers at the Airport but eventually moved to Belfast with the factory at Rochester closing in 1946. It is these buildings that Elliott Bros came to occupy.