Elliott-Automation was registered as a public company on 20 August 1957. Leon Bagrit was the Deputy Chairman and Managing Director and in 1963 he became Chairman whilst retaining the post of Managing Director. The main locations were at Lewisham, Rochester and Borehamwood. By May 1965 the Elliott-Automation group had 15 operating companies divided into approximately 64 divisions plus a number of laboratories and technical centres.
In 1967 Elliott-Automation was acquired by the English Electric Company which in turn was acquired by the General Electric company (GEC) the following year. The company name survived as GEC-Elliott-Automation Ltd through 1973 when Sir Leon Bagrit retired from being Chairman.