The firm of C Baker was established probably at 244 High Holborn in 1765. Charles Baker (1820-1894) was in business by 1851 and prospered on the sales of good-quality microscopes and accessories.
In 1894 Charles Baker died and several generations of the Curtis family then continued to run the business. From 1918 premises were taken in Balham, later named the Metron Works, until 1947 when the company relocated to Purley Way, Croydon, Surrey. The shop and office at 244, High Holborn were retained.
The business was acquired by Cooke, Troughton & Simms in 1959, together with the services of Francis Smith, internationally respected as an optical engineer, who brought a large collection of patent specifications to the combined company.