|Category:||Head-Mounted Equipment [HMD/NVG/Glasses]|
|Object Name:||Collection of items for LED Matrix|
|Year of Manufacture:||1975|
|Location:||Archive Object Store|
Since 1965, in an attempt to improve aircraft man-machine design, engineers have been pioneering techniques to "visually couple" the operator to his weapon system.
The facility in Point Mugu, California, started as a United States Navy anti-aircraft training center during World War II and was developed in the late 1940s as the Navy's major missile development and test facility. This facility was the site where most of the US Navy's missiles were developed and tested during the 1950/1960 era so it was a natural site to evaluate Visually coupled systems in the form of Helmet Mounted Displays and Head trackers , including the AIM-7 Sparrow family and the AIM-54 Phoenix air-to-air, Bullpup air-to-surface, and Regulus surface-to-surface missiles.
In 1976 Marconi Elliott Avionic Systems supplied a Helmet Mounted Sight built into the standard APH-6 Helmet and using an LED Matrix display source projecting through s relay optics onto a dichroic patch on the visor and thence to the pilot’s right eye.
The LED matrix display was either 20 x 23 dots with added alpha numerics or a 32 x 32 dot matrix
A simple optical Line of Sight tracking system was fitted using the MEASL Helmet Optical Position Sensing (HOPS) system developed by the Flight Automation Research Lab. Variants of the Sighting system were flight tested on an F-4 and T-38 at Pt Magu and on a Lynx helicopter and Jaguar in the UK.
This item is a dsisplay showing the stages in the manufacture of the GaSaP LED matrix possibly by the GEC Hirst Research Centre at Wembley.