|Object Name:||Rate Gyro, self-monitored|
|Year of Manufacture:||Unknown|
|Location:||Main Object Store|
This item was in the original Marconi Collection, Ref: 2006.
A rate gyro is a type of gyroscope, which rather than indicating direction, indicates the rate of change of angle with time. The gyro has only one gimbal ring, with consequently only two planes of freedom and is used to measure the rate of angular movement.
The original concept of an integrating rate gyro was a design by Siemens dating from 1939. The concept was developed further in Germany during WWII where it formed part of the rudder control system on the Hs129 and was possibly used in the "V2" weapon. After the War the design was brought to RAE Farnborough eventually being offered to industry, By 1953 Elliott Bros had developed the autostabiliser which was according to FLIGHT Magazine of 1953 necessary to correct the "snaking" activity of certain high speed aircraft. This gyro was fitted near to the c of g of the aircraft and operated a remote actuator unit for the rudder servo tab via a control box. The design was further developed into the Type "B" Autopilot.
This unit did not proceed to production.
This item was in the original Elliott Historic collection.